Recommendations for desktop search tool under Linux

Boaz Rymland boaz at rymland.com
Sat Apr 4 21:43:50 IDT 2009

Beagle once created huge log files in its directory under my home dir,
which clogged my filesystem. It took a while to find the culprit but
afterwards it was pretty fast to purge it from my system :-) . That
incident, couple with very little use I had for it, convinced me to drop
it altogether.

Nobody mentioned the long proven, useful and (very) lean on resources -
Linux command line tools like locate, grep, find, vi and probably a few
good other "dinosaurs" which I left out of the list. They do what I want
today to the point that I don't feel an urge to find such a tool as you
describe. Yes, the downside is considerable as well - they are hard to
use to the point that probably the new Linux user (=my mother, if she
would have ever considered using Linux...) will never use them. I just
mention these tools for the sake of the record :-)

Boaz.

but yes - not trivial command line for the casual user (=my mother, if
she had used Linux in the first place :-)