IrDA dongle ceased to work when I upgraded to Debian Lenny

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Mon Apr 13 23:55:30 IDT 2009

Using lsusb, the dongle in question identifies itself as:
ID 050f:0180 KC Technology, Inc. KC-180 IrDA Dongle

When I used Debian Etch, the device /dev/irda0 was automatically created
and all worked out of the box.

After upgrade to Debian Lenny, the udev-created device changed, due to
some mysterious reason, to /dev/ttyUSB0 and now the dongle does not work
out of the box (does not connect to my cellphone using 'ircp -r' unlike
in the Etch era).

Does anyone know what changed and what&how to change so that it'll work
again?

Thanks,
--- Omer

--
Delay is the deadliest form of denial.    C. Northcote Parkinson

I may be affiliated in any way.