samba server fails at boot time.

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Sun Apr 19 00:49:42 IDT 2009

On 18.04.2009 David Harel wrote:
> Actually I had the same hunch and so did Noam Melzer however I didn't
> link that to the laptop issue. Nice one.
>
> So, Yes this is a laptop. I guess my attempt to delay the samba startup
> from S20 to S80 will not help. What are my options now Can I link to the
> trigger that starts the network and make samba start at that point?

Your distro is probably using NetworkManager to handle network connection.
While this service is normally started early, it may delay network
connection -- depends on configuration, may be only after login :-(

You may want to investigate two options:
1. Use nm-online in a script to wait until NM established connection.
2. Instruct NM not to mess with the specific network interface:
   * Since version 0.7 NM has distro-specific plugins to parse distro
     config files so it can live side by side with "legacy" configuration
     (e.g: let it handle the wifi and leave the wire connection to the
     usual OS handling).
   * For example, on Fedora the /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
     contains the line 'plugins=ifcfg-rh' which cause it to load:
      /usr/lib/NetworkManager/libnm-settings-plugin-ifcfg-rh.so
     This plugin parses:
      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
     And skip any interface which has: NM_CONTROLLED=no in its configuration.
   * You can look for the equivalent plugin+config for Ubuntu/Debian.

Bye,

> Amos Shapira wrote:
>
> > sounds like the samba server is started too early in the boot stage.
> > Is this some mobile computer which gets its network connection later than
usual?
> > How about adding some "ifconfig > /tmp/ifconfig.out" or "ip i s" to
> > the samba start script?
> >
> > -Amos
> >
> > On 4/18/09, David Harel <hareldvd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> On my Ubuntu installation, the samba server seem to crash at boot time
> >> (smbd dies but nmbd remains). Running - sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart -
> >> is fine.
> >> In the log file I can find the following pair of errors:
> >> [2009/04/18 11:22:48,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(540)
> >>   WARNING: no network interfaces found
> >> [2009/04/18 11:22:49,  0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(548)
> >>   open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
> >>
> >> Any idea?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards.
> >>
> >> David Harel,
> >>
> >> ==================================
> >>
> >> Home office +972 77 7657645
> >> Cellular:   +972 54 4534502
> >> Snail Mail: Amuka
> >>             D.N Merom Hagalil
> >>             13802
> >>             Israel
> >> Email:      hareldvd at ergolight-sw.com
> >>

> --
> Regards.
>
> David Harel,
>
> ==================================
>
> Home office +972 77 7657645
> Cellular:   +972 54 4534502
> Snail Mail: Amuka
>             D.N Merom Hagalil
>             13802
>             Israel
> Email:      hareldvd at ergolight-sw.com

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
This will end your Windows session. Do you want to play another game?