"stealing" domain names by Israeli registrar

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Sun Apr 19 23:15:00 IDT 2009

Quoting Boaz Rymland, from the post of Fri, 17 Apr:
> Consultation needed:

As Shachar says, ISOC should be able to help.

> on one of the Israeli registrars - internic.co.il and check through

Are they one of the Registrars? sounds like a phishing site from your
description... I always go through ISOC.
let's see...

http://isoc.org.il/domain_heb/index.html

Well, I'll be damned, they ARE. The page also has a link to email a
complaint.

Please note that there are 6 official registrars for domains under .il,
and I prefer to go to the original - ISOC itself:
http://isoc.org.il/domain_heb/registration_direct.html

The reason - they are an NPO, and they are trustworthy people, some of
them I'm happy to know personally. Most importantly, the money goes to
good causes:
http://isoc.org.il/about_heb/index.html

> * is that business method illegal?

I doubt it.

> * what can be done here in order to react? (be the internic method legal
> or not).

not sure. you could ask ISOC and maybe a lawyer or two who are
into online fraud, Intelectual property, etc.

> * luckily for us, after I talked to my friend we made it clear that the
> needed domain should finish with a .org, not .co.il, so we actually
> weren't hit by Internic sting. The incident was and still is, very
> irritating.

well, thanks for the heads-up, I suppose :-)

--
The muscles from Brussles
Ira Abramov