Backup encryption key

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Thu Apr 23 20:40:58 IDT 2009

As someone who tried to convince his boss to use Shachar's product, I can tell
you that there are companies (in israel!) who sell a competing product, which
is closed source, but:

 * works with a nice Java Based web interface,
 * it has a CLI version (works on 64 bit as well)
 * it's incremental backup
 * their service sends you email when you finish the backup
 * the email tells you what amont of data (in MB) has been sent
 * if you miss a backup a few days, you get a call from them "is everthing
ok"? - don't trust automated setups!
 * they store up to a week of information as history
 * the traffic is encrypted using blowfish
 * if your initial backup is "huge" they can send someone to your office which
comes with a USB disk and copies it manually the first time.

Besides it being closed source, written in java and (*) it's a damn good
service. I can recommend off list if you want. Still, if I had the choise, I
would use Shachar's service, not only because of (*). I prefear my money to
go to someone from the community.

Shame it's not my money, right Shachar? ;-)

(*) has far as I can tell, the encryption key is the password used for the
service. I also know that a support guy can see the encrypted password of
each customer. I hope I am drunk+stupid+lazy+mistaking, since if I am right,
this is completelly fucked up.