August Penguin 2009 Keysigning party deadline

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Aug 4 19:00:32 IDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:00:00PM +0300, Shay Ohayon wrote:
> Hello folks, I would like to remind you that the deadline for
> submitting your keys is *tomorrow* 05/08/09.
>
> For those who are interested in participating and did not send their
> information, please do as soon as possible.
>
> for more information:
> http://august.penguin.org.il/keysign

Those instructions are a bit odd. So let's write them in a language we
understand.

For starters, install the package signing-party. It is originally from
Debian, but it seems to be available on quite a few other distributions.
It automates most of what you need to do after you meet the people and
verify their signatures.

But now we still have to get this finger-print (and no, this is not Meir
Shitrit's work) of a key.

##################################
#
# If you have just a single key:
#
gpg --list-secret-keys --fingerprint >key.asc
mutt -a key.asc -s "AP09: $LOGNAME's key" shay at shayohayon.net

##################################
#
# Alternatively, you have several keys, and you need to ask for a
# specific key:
#
gpg --list-secret-keys --fingerprint 0DDD1FF4 >key.asc
mutt -a key.asc -s "AP09: $LOGNAME's key" shay at shayohayon.net

##################################
#
# If you also have an old key that you want to send along:
# specific key:
#
gpg --list-secret-keys --fingerprint 0DDD1FF4 >key.asc
gpg --list-secret-keys --fingerprint 437D328B >oldkey.asc
mutt -a key.asc -a oldkey.asc -s "AP09: $LOGNAME's key (and old one)" shay at shayohayon.net

The mail here is unsigned because I didn't really want to bother. It may
be worth signing it merely as an exercise in using GPG, or if Shay
already trusts your key.

And how did I come up with those odd key identifiers?

I recently created a new public key, as the old one is not up to recent
standards. So let's look at my keys:

$ gpg --list-secret-keys
/home/tzafrir/.gnupg/secring.gpg
--------------------------------
sec   1024D/437D328B 2004-11-09
uid                  Tzafrir Cohen (Key3) <tzafrir at technion.ac.il>
uid                  Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>
uid                  Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at dira.dyndns.org>
ssb   1024g/1DECC62A 2004-11-09

sec   2048R/0DDD1FF4 2009-06-26 [expires: 2019-06-24]
uid                  Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>

The ID of the first key is 437D328B and of the second is 0DDD1FF4.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best