partition full (or not)

shlomo solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:20:03 IDT 2009

I´m getting disk full messages on /var. According to df, the / partition
(/dev/sda1) is full, but du shows about 90% free space. Kdirstat also shows
90% free. I tried booting from a live CD and the partition is only about 10%
full.

Any ideas what´s going on here and how to fix it?

here´s a partial listing for df:

[solomon at shlomo1 ~]$ df
/dev/sda1              15G   15G   40M 100% /
/dev/sda6             495M   47M  448M  10% /boot

and here´s a partial listing for du:

[solomon at shlomo1 ~]$ du -x -c /
14M     /bin
0       /dev