[YBA] i4i vs MS?

Danny Lieberman dannyl at software.co.il
Sun Aug 16 13:23:21 IDT 2009

Geoff

The Microsoft example is central to the discussion.   The empirical data is
that more innovation is done by big companies (IBM, Microsoft, Intel,
Google) than by small independent inventors - they have the money to hire
smarter people,  the synergy,  the infrastructure and legal  to protect
their IP.

For sure - a small 3 man startup can have a brilliant idea but even if they
spring for a  patent - the threat of infringement is symmetrical.   In my
opinion, most software patents fail in obviousness, prior art and
disclosure.  Patent litigation is expensive, and defending yourself even
against a bad patent may cost a fortune - which startups don't have.
Consider NTP (patent troll) vs RIM (Blackberry).

This is why VC's always ask for patents but quickly move on to the more
substantitive questions of Total available market, execution and
break-through strategies.

I challenge you to bring one example of an Israeli startup that was able to
profitably monetize their idea with software patent licensing. Patent trolls
like Aerotel and NTP don't count.

Then there is your notion of "first mover advantage";  most new ideas these
days take a long time to penetrate the market - you can develop software in
3-5 months but it still will take 3-5 years for the business to grow and
take root  (assuming you have all the other pieces in place).

Danny
http://www.dannylieberman.info

--
Danny Lieberman