Suggestion for a webmail application with good Hebrew Support

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 18 16:21:06 IDT 2009

Danny Lieberman wrote:
> Shachar, Geoff
>

> b) the threat probability of one of our operations getting a US court
> injunction is so low that I don't even bother with security
> countermeasures. OTOH - the threat of dos/web defacing/site
> downtime/poor response time is high enough that we considered and
> eventually deployed outsourced services for messaging and hosting.  We
> use slicehost, rackspace.com <http://rackspace.com> and Google Apps.
> Dev servers are inhouse.

Your threat level rises significantly when you use free services. If you
are going to be using Google's services for your business, my
recommendation is that you find a route in which you pay them for it.
The logic is that by paying them, you are creating accountability of
them to you. Many of the privacy concerns diminish significantly as a
result.

I'll add that, specifically with Google, the amount of concentrated
cross-referencable personal info is what bothers me the most.
> privacy breach is higher in the Israeli Ministry of Defense than in
> GooglePlex.

Not when my own servers are involved. At least not without my knowledge.

> d) We deploy security countermeasures to protect assets:
> 0) We don't use Google docs, Never.
So you are, essentially, saying that you agree with me to a degree, but
don't go quite as far.
> 3) we physically destroy hard disks (it's fun...)

That I'm curios about. What do you specifically do to destroy the hard disk?

The way I see it, either you believe that "recover seven generations" is
not possible (like some do), in which case just do "dd if=/dev/urandom
of=/dev/sdb" followed by "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb" (or just settle
for the later), or you believe that it is possible, in which case the
only solution I know of is melting the drive's plates. Personally, I
don't have any way to do the later, so I just do the former and hope
that my attackers don't have the $100K+ it allegedly requires to recover
the data.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh