Suggestion for a webmail application with good Hebrew Support

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 18 18:12:22 IDT 2009

ronys wrote:
> Hi Shachar,
>
> 'urban legend' may be a bit strong. The reference I had in mind was
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html
> <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Epgut001/pubs/secure_del.html>
> which is a bit dated (circa 1996, plus a couple of undated epilogues),
> but still an interesting read.
>
> Of course, if you're going to keep sensitive data on magentic media,
> it's *much* easier to use an encrypted partition (e.g., dm-crypt
> http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/ or TrueCrypt
> http://www.truecrypt.org/) and securely destroy the keys.
>
> Rony
Thanks. That seems like an excellent resource (with reasoning, unlike
what I'm used to :-).

I haven't delved into it, yet, but its description of how the drive
actually writes data to the disk differs dramatically from what I
remember described the last time I saw a description of the recovery
process (it claims the 1 and 0 are merely encoded as magnetic polarity,
while I remember them being modulated on a sine wave). Which it actually
is, I'm not sure, but the reasoning your article states for using random
data (create as low a frequency as possible given the disk's RLE) is
negated if the data is actually modulated.

Unfortunately, I have lost track of my previous source, but pending
further analysis, I'm willing to retract my definitive claim that
needing to use random data is an urban myth.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.