[Telux] Next Meeting: "Advanced GDB" on 06-September-2009

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Aug 27 13:22:02 IDT 2009

Hi all!

The Tel Aviv Open Source Club will host a talk by David Khosid  about
"Advanced GDB" - on 06-September-2009.

The meeting will take place at Tel Aviv University, at the Schreiber Maths&CS
building, room 008 on 18:30. So mark your calendars. For more information can
be found at:

* http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/telux/

* http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_06_September_2009

Attendance is free and everyone are welcome.

With any other problems, feel free to contact me:

http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/

Abstract:
---------

In general, I will be sharing my discovery with you: When the debugging of
modern software is required,
basic GDB techniques are insufficient, but new techniques can be created from
the nearly 160 commands available in GDB. "Modern software" refers to multi-
threading, using STL and other libraries, IPC, signals and exception
mechanisms. In this lecture, I will explain techniques for debugging large,
modern software written in C++.

The presentation will be accompanied by vivid examples for all the topics.

Covered topics:

1. Preparing a program for debugging; starting the debug session

2. Controlling GDB: getting help, navigating, using breakpoints and
watchpoints

3. Extending GDB through user-defined commands

4. Analyzing STL containers and algorithms

5. Dealing with multi-threading, C++ exceptions

6. Managing signals

7. Automating repetitive tasks on the almost unchanging code base

8. Remote debugging

We are always looking for presentations on interesting topics. If you have an
interesting idea for a talk, feel free to contact us and we'll co-ordinate a
date.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish