[VERY OT] Power over radio is it a true thing or just a myth ?

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Fri Aug 28 18:02:37 IDT 2009

Michael Tewner <tewner at gmail.com> writes:

> "when you travel close to the speed of light"
>
> 88 Miles per hour?

Michael,

This is getting more and mor off-topic, but yes, exactly, 88 mph!

I confess, I am a car-buff, a petrol-head, etc. I also like movies. So
flame me - my /dev/null is ready. I will assume that you don't know
where 88 mph comes from. If you do, sorry - maybe someone else is
wondering what you are talking about.

Since you mention 88 mph you must have seen "Back to the Future", so
you must also remember the line where Marty is shocked that Doc has
built a time machine out of a DeLorean, and Doc responds that if one
travels through time one might as well do it in style. DeLorean was a
sports car produced in N. Ireland (sic!), with quite a cult
following. Its speedometer was graded up to 85 mph (we are talking
early 80ies here, it *was* fast for its time), so 88 mph in the movie
is an inside joke: you *could* reach 88 mph in a DeLorean but would
not *know* if or when you did.

You may further speculate whether you would know when you reach the
speed of light in a real time machine if you can build it. ;-)

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org