an open phone from nokia ?

Eli Marmor marmor at netmask.it
Sun Aug 30 09:46:44 IDT 2009

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Will it be totally open? I don't think so because they have to support
> their DRM'd music/video which you buy, and their DRM is from ..
> Microsoft, but OTOH writing/porting an app to N900, is IMHO way easier
> then to Android/WebOS/iPhone.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By the way, don't forget that:

1. Android is Linux.
2. WebOS is Linux (Palm left their proprietary OS).
3. iPhone is BSD.
4. ...and not only Nokia's Maemo is Linux/UNIX based....

(iPhone is half "closed", "thanks" for the liberal license of BSD, but
even iPhone is much more UNIXish than the old proprietary OSes - PalmOS,
Windows Mobile, etc.).

With Microsoft giving up their "Mobile" (they gave their OFFICE sources
to Nokia to help the Maemo to win against Apple/Google), UNIX/Linux is
gaining a world domination in a yet another field, with all of the four
favorite OSes based on UNIX/Linux (I assume that it's only a matter of
time till Symbian is replaced officially by Maemo. Maybe years, but we
are not in rush, and can't wait even 2-3 years for the world domination).

--
Eli Marmor
marmor at netmask.it
CEO, Netmask (El-Mar) Internet Technologies Ltd.