active server and passive client

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:41:47 IST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 17:24, Constantine Shulyupin <const at linuxdriver.co.il
> wrote:

> Hi colleagues,
>
> I have: servers (HTTP, FTP, RTSP and other) behind firewall and a
> client PC. The client wishes to connect to severer. But firewall
> doesn't allows him to connect to server.
>
> The server knows the clients IP and can open a connection.
> Unfortunately I can't set up tunneling/VPN on client because of system
> administration limitation.
>
> Theoretically, I can rewrite inetd to make connection to client and
> rewrite FTP client to listen for connection from server or code custom
> protocol.

for simple protocols (http, scp) you can use reverse port forwarding feature
of ssh:
Run on the server following:
ssh -R 9922:127.0.0.1:22 arie at client.somecompany.com

Causes ssh to login into arie at client.somecompany.com, listen for connections
on
port 9922 on the remote machine and forward them to 127.0.0.1:22 (back
to the server)

Then you will be able to ssh into the server from the client by ssh'ing into
port 9922 on the client.

--
Arie