Firefox file associations

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Thu Dec 17 15:51:49 IST 2009

> OK. Maybe try fudging with the user.js file or do as Tomer (who is the local
> Mozilla contact) says.

Well, I am looking for a solution that a normal user can use without
hacking javascript or PHP (cf. shimi's message).

I need to post (automatically, programmatically) files of different
types - including txt and csv - and make them accessible through a web
server. I want a normal Windows or Linux user with a mainstream
browser to be able to open the files in an expected way - for csv it
is spreadsheet, for txt it is a text editor of choice, etc.

Take a Windows user. As things stand now, she will be fine as long as
she uses IE. If she decides on Firefox, it won't work as intended and
there is no configuration that can make it work. Does this sound
right?

In my specific situation I may circumvent the problem by making the
files available through a samba/CIFS server. This is a workaround, not
a solution. It also requires Linux users to do more work - either
mount the share or use a samba browser or use Konqueror rather than
Firefox...

I am quite surprised that this is not trivially configurable in FF. If
this forum does not offer an obvious solution 24h after OP then maybe
I need to file a bug with Mozilla... I'll consider it.

Oleg Goldshmidt | oleg at goldshmidt.org