Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sun Dec 20 02:49:55 IST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/20 Uri Even-Chen <uri at speedy.net>:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> I am seriously thinking about switching to Google Chrome or Firefox.
>> I use Internet Explorer 8, and I tested all 3 of them recently.  The
>> fonts look better on good old Internet Explorer, and I'm also used to
>> it, after switching from Netscape about 10 years ago.  But, the
>> problem is I can't see pictures on my newsletters on Gmail.  I checked
>> Google Chrome and Firefox, to my surprise both of them show the
>> pictures without problems, only with Internet Explorer I can't see
>> pictures, which is very frustrating.  I'm thinking maybe this is
>> because I'm using HTTPS and not HTTP.  I don't know why I can't see
>> the pictures on Internet Explorer, but it looks much better with
>> pictures.  The problem is that I prefer the fonts of Internet
>> Explorer, and I also use other websites, such as my bank, and I didn't
>> check them with Google Chrome and Firefox.  It's much easier for me to
>> use Internet Explorer, if I can just solve the pictures issue, or
>> maybe use Google Chrome only to view my newsletters.  I'm in a
>> dilemma.  I hate Microsoft, I like open source, but I don't like to
>> use inferior software.  What do you think?
>>
>> My operating system is Windows XP.  Sorry - no open source OS for me
>> yet.  I'm waiting for Google OS - maybe I'll switch in a few years.  I
>> can't use ubuntu etc. - too complicated for me, not compatible with
>> other computers etc.  I'm also using MS Word, Excel and Access - I
>> can't stop using them right now.
>>

> Hi Uri. You will probably find that most sites will work the same in
> both Firefox and Chrome, and that may be different than what IE shows.
> Israeli sites are terribly IE dependant, so when you come across such
> a site please write to me off-list (or on-list, but CC me) and tell
> which site it is and what does not work.

OK, If I find such a site I will let you know.  Currently I know about
2 problems:

1. In Bank Hapoalim website, using IE, when pressing a stock the
images of קנייה & מכירה are half transparent, which is a bug.  I
didn't check Google Chrome and Firefox.
2. In Gmail, when using advanced search in IE, when pressing Enter, I
get a message "please specify who you wish to invite" but I'm
searching, not inviting!  I checked Google Chrome and the bug doesn't
appear there.

> Have a great week!

Thanks!
Uri.