Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sun Dec 20 13:53:30 IST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

>> > It sounds like they are using visual encoding, which makes them
>> > idiots. You will find that leads to problems in IE, too, like
>> > searching in the browser or copying text.
>>
>> They save time and money by not checking browsers such as Google
>> Chrome and Firefox. I worked once in a web developing company, and
>> they told me their contract with the customer is that the website
>> works with Internet Explorer only.  They told me not to check the
>> website with Firefox!  They don't care, the customer doesn't pay for
>> checking with Firefox and they don't check it at all.  Most web
>> developing companies work like that.  Banks too, they hire web
>> developers (sometimes outsourcing) and they pay them to make the site
>> look fine with Internet Explorer.  They don't bother to check with
>> Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox, although it's only about 10% more of
>> the developing time.  They save money!
>
> You're describing a situation that may have been "true" (and I'm putting
> "true" in quotes) a few years ago. But right now, you must be either very
> clueless or out-of-your-mind or both to not support Firefox and other more
> standards-compliant browsers. While it is true that MSIE still has an 80%
> market share (possibly less by now - it keeps losing it), as someone noted to
> me on IRC, this is the bottom 80% of the web surfers. By all means, you do
> wish to cater to the more clueful people who are using Firefox and other
> "alternative" browsers.
>
> Furthermore, there are other factors:
>
> 1. Web designers who test their pages in Firefox and design according to web
> standards tend to be more clueful than their FrontPage weenies counterparts,
> and as a result produce better, more sustainable and safer code.
>
> 2. You are likely to lose customers who will refuse to switch to MSIE to
> browse your site, or have to handle many complaints from people that your web-
> site does not work for them.
>
> 3. Your pages may easily break with newer versions of MSIE, which will require
> update.
>
> 4. There are other advantages:
>
> http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/by-others/mashhoor--10-reasons--
> hebrew.html
>
> (short URL - http://xrl.us/bgpzhg )
>
> -------------
>
> So they are not saving money in the long run or even not in the short run.

If they were not saving money, they wouldn't do it at all!  Money is
the reason why they do it, like I said they save maybe 10% or 15% of
the total web developing time, and I agree they save money only in
short terms, but that's how businesses work!  They don't care about
20% of the users, I told you the website of Bank Hapoalim, the biggest
bank in the country, has problems with Firefox and Google Chrome.
With Firefox it's minor problems, but still there are problems which
they could solve!  And with Google Chrome it's a more annoying
problem.  They don't care about standards, if they don't pay web
developers to test other browsers then they don't test at all!  I
prefer Internet Explorer as an end user, as a developer I always test
at least Firefox, for example you can check www.speedywhois.net and
see for yourself.  But if I work as an employee, and my boss tells me
not to test Firefox - I don't have a choice.  I can't do things
against my boss!

By the way, I tried to report to the bank, they gave me a captcha, (I
hate captchas), I made a mistake and they deleted my feedback.  I
didn't have time to type it again... the banks such, they are really
bad when it comes to supporting computer technologies, and their
business depends on computers!

Uri.