Sandisk U3 on Linux

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sat Dec 26 01:03:08 IST 2009

Hi People,

I have been using Sandisk U3 disk on key (flash disk) since 3 years
now, and I know U3 does not support Linux.  I was thinking, is it
possible to convert U3 to Linux?  Maybe we can find volunteers to
write the source code for Linux, or (maybe) the company (Sandisk) will
agree to cooperate with us?  I think it's a main problem that the
files are not accessible from Linux (and by the way Mac), how
difficult it is to convert them to Linux?  I don't think the source
code for U3 is free, maybe the company will not cooperate and it might
be difficult to do it without them.  But this is a main problem -
hardware (with software) that is not accessible to Linux users.  I
know you can use the disk on key without U3, but if you buy U3 you
would probably use it.  Why don't they support Linux?  Is it just to
save time on their programmers salaries?  Or maybe they have their
reasons?

Anyway, I am thinking, if the company does not cooperate - why not
write a new program (I mean - an encryption program for disks on key)
which will support all platforms, maybe using existing open source
programs, and distribute this program for free?  Maybe we can make a
profit somehow?  What do you think?

Uri Even-Chen
Mobile Phone: +972-50-9007559
E-mail: uri at speedy.net