Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sat Dec 26 04:30:39 IST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Micha <michf at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> [...]
>>>>

>>> My condolences

>>> Access is one of the worst databases around. sql is a much better choice,
>>> although I'm not a database person so I can't recomend environments.
>>> Visual
>>> basic is also pure crap in my opinion, but I guess I'm as biased against
>>> Microsoft as you are for it.
>>
>> Yes, I hate Visual Basic, and I worked years in Visual Basic and
>> access.  I want to start working in other programming languages, such
>> as Java or C++ or Python.  But the problem is I can't find work in
>> Java or C++ where I don't have experience.  I hate Microsoft, I hate
>> their software, but I admit some of their software is better than
>> their competition.  I tried Open Office and I don't like it, I prefer
>> Microsoft Office instead.  Maybe we should start a new open source
>> project for office, Open Office is 150MB which is far too much to
>> download.  I wish Microsoft will go bankrupt, I hate monopolies and I
>> hate Microsoft.  Maybe Google will come up with better solutions,
>> until then I'm stuck with Microsoft!
>>

> There are a few others, I'm not sure though if google will provide the
> rescue. You may want to have a look at abiword (Free) and wordperfect (I
> believe that they are still around). I think that there is also kword and
> possibly a few others.
>
> Personally I work either with Lyx (www.lyx.org) or plain latex, but in my
> field (math) no journal and almost no researcher accepts word documents.
> Results are significantly better and takes me a lot less time to achieve
> what I want but it's a complete change in the document writing approach, not
> all people can handle that.
>
> As for other programing languages, start with learning object oriented
> software engineering. Without understanding the different design process
> you'll just be writing c in c++, although I know very few good c++
> programmers I admit. Look into design patterns, some books on UML can help.
>
> Find an open source project you like and get involved (sign up for the
> mailing list, start hacking around submitting patches, try to solve bugs,
> etc.) A smaller project will allow you easier integration and less
> bureaucracy. Make sure that it's well written code though so that you can
> learn from it.
>
> I don't like java personally but I'm more of a hacker (mostly hpc at the
> moment) than a gui programmer so java really isn't the right tool for the
> job for me. Didn't play around with python but I probably should at some
> point as there are some interesting tools for GPU computing written in
> python. I don't like interpreted languages too much though and for some
> reason perl drove me away from python although they are completely different
> animals. I think that I did program in almost every other sensible language
> under the sun though at some point or another (and visual basic is not
> sensible in my book), and that includes logo for those old enough to

Thanks for the advice.  Read what I wrote on open source projects
(today).  I also don't like interpreted languages too much, although
PHP is a very good language and I appreciate it.  Perl is good, but I
prefer PHP for websites.  I like compiled languages, I know C well
(although, long time I haven't programmed in it) and I learned C++ and
Java, but not experience writing in it.  I want to find a new job in
programming, I don't mind which programming language, but I prefer not
Microsoft (Visual Basic or Access or .NET).  I don't know C# as well.
I never programmed Object Oriented, I think I'm a good programmer but
I'm a little old fashioned.  My first programming language was Basic
with Apple 2e, then I moved to Pascal and then C.  I also know Matlab,
I think I know about 15 programming languages or so.  But experience I
have with only about 5 or 6, I also programmed machine language with
Apple 2e.  I know assembler, but I prefer programming languages where
you don't have to invent the wheel... I never programmed GUI
applications, except when programming in Visual Basic.

I am thinking, if I am to program my automatic melody composition
software - which platform should I use?  Should I use web platform,
and let the user compose without downloading a software?  Maybe this
is an advantage.  Or I can program an application, then it would
probably work only on Windows, and people will need to download the
software to compose?  I personally prefer web platforms, like Gmail, I
switched to Gmail after years of using Mozilla Thunderbird and
Netscape, now I'm using only Gmail and lost all emails I had before,
but it's very easy to search for mail in Gmail and that's why I like
it.  I think, if I enable a web platform for composing music it will
be great, then software download can be for more advanced users, but
it will be difficult to develop both platforms.  At least for the
start, one of them is enough.