Free software projects in Java or C++

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sat Dec 26 10:05:37 IST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Oron Peled <oron at actcom.co.il> wrote:
> On Friday, 25 בDecember 2009 23:38:38 Uri Even-Chen wrote:
>> A friend of mine suggested me to join a free software (open source)
>> project in Java or C++, to gain experience in these languages.
>
> Your friend gave you a good advice. However, please note that usually
> there is no *immediate* reward. It's not like a (free software) newbie
> joins a project and three months later he is swamped with job requests.
>
> Working on a free software project tend to increase your capabilities
> by exposing you to different technologies and working styles. On the
> long run (years), this can bring you not only fun, but work as well.

Thanks for your advice.

>> Do you have an idea how to find a good project I can join, in Java or
>> C++ or maybe Python?
>
> There are many sites hosting free software projects. Some of them:
>  www.sourceforge.net
>  savannah.gnu.org
>  gna.org
>  github.com
>
> Since you used some scripting languages in the past (PHP), it looks
> like python would provide easier learning curve for you.

I personally prefer compiled programming languages than scripting
ones.  I have experience with both, Pascal and C vs. Basic and PHP and
Perl.  I want to learn Python, but I think there are less jobs with
Python, so it's better I learn Java or C++.  I think there are many
jobs in Java and C++.  There are also jobs in C# and .NET, but I
prefer not to be stuck with Microsoft technologies.  I don't like
Microsoft, although I have been using their products for many years.
Also, thanks for the websites you sent me.  I know sourceforge, the
others I will check later.

Uri.