Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Micha michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Dec 26 14:59:06 IST 2009

On 26/12/2009 13:51, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Saturday 26 Dec 2009 02:02:15 Micha wrote:

>>> Sorry, I don't know how to do that.  I'm stuck with the default.  But
>>> I think the programmers themselves (of Google Chrome and Firefox)
>>> should have taken care of this issue.
>>
>> It's not something that the programmers can control in this case. Its a
>>   fuck with the shitty piece of software called windows.
>>

> Well, they could offer to toggle this option in Windows on in the installer.

They could but I guess that they don't want to update their installer.

>> As for IE around the world, I ran into more and more computers running
>>   linux. I also always traver with a portable version of firefox and
>>   thunderbird on a usb disk (Actually also skype for those windows computers
>>   that don't have it installed). Greatly reduces the risk of password theft
>>   (those computers around the world are usually set to store passwords and
>>   such).
>
> So you're using the Firefox password manager for that? I'm just interested to
> know how you overcome the keyloggers / password sniffers.

1. A lot of places just enable saving passwords without asking, so your
passwords, even if not directly readable, are saved locally. They also enable
automatic form filling so they get both the username and the password (all they
need is the first letter of the username to fill the entire form). Using my own
firefox with password manager and ssl login avoids that (although take note that
it is possible to sniff the contents of password fields on the same computer so
it's not completely fool proof)

2. I configured thunderbird to use ssl login for all sites and remember
passwords so I never actually type the password and it's never sent clear text
so it's very hard for keyloggers/password sniffers to catch those passwords

3. At least some of your sites are saved in the cache so you're surfing details
can be seen later on. Portable firefox avoids that as well (although remember to
purge the temp folder when you finish, some things go there).

4. I always keep track of all passwords I use during travel and change them once
I get home

5. I always leave my bank accesses to someone I trust at home to do my
transactions for me (my parents have power of attorney at the bank ...).
Actually my parents used the same approach on their last big trip.

6. skype also saves all usernames used and possibly the last password so using a
portable version avoids that as well.

>>> I suppose I can convert my Word and Excel files to Open Office if I
>>> want to, but my Access software will have to keep running on Microsoft
>>> Access&   Windows.  I wrote this software for the company I work for,
>>> Pazgal, since 1996 and until now.  It has about 80 forms, 40 reports
>>> and more than 200 queries, 80 tables and a lot of Visual Basic code.
>>> If I were to write this program again in a new platform, it would take
>>> me years!  And I don't know which platform can replace Microsoft
>>> Access.
>>
>> Access is one of the worst databases around. sql is a much better choice,
>> although I'm not a database person so I can't recomend environments. Visual
>> basic is also pure crap in my opinion, but I guess I'm as biased against
>> Microsoft as you are for it.

I'll start with the fact that I'm not a database programmer, I actually rather
despise doing anything database related. It's way out of my domain of expertise.
I did get to work with mysql and firebird via php, perl and c. Also did some
work with access but hated that the most. Could be due to me being more of a
hacker so I'm more comfortable with programing languages than GUIs.