Potabilty of dotNet in Linux

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 22:07:45 IST 2009

I didn't see MS propaganda about CLR being compatible with linux. Maybe
because linux users are not their primary audience. Care to give a reference
(I'm not teasing, I'm really curious to see where they brag about it).
I'm not saying that the CLR is a panacea for cross-platform development, but
I'm saying it is a viable option.
Is C/C++ easy to get cross-platform (hint: dir.h, hint2: take a look at some
boost source)? Among the current solutions, it doesn't seems to me like a
bad choice. And indeed it does seems better to me than relying on WINE.

I used Java a bit for linux+windows projects. I see no reason to believe
dotNet would be significantly worse than Java for cross platform
development.
But I'm writing that out of ignorance I didn't actually develop cross
platform apps with dotNet.
Anyone care to enlight me? Which difficulties did you run into when writing
cross platform applications in dotNet?
Please note, difficulties arose when porting badly written C# code so that
it'd work with linux as well is not relevant. What I'm seeking is problems
arising when written a dotNet program with linux in mind in the first place
(so, no, I won't be using pinvoke, thanks for letting me know).