Ubuntu Dok

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Feb 5 09:36:47 IST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:06:58AM +0200, Ori Idan wrote:
>It seems that the DoK solution is not good for me.
>The computer I am trying to install on is IBM ThinkPad X31 and it seems that
>it can't boot from DoK so although I have a working Ubuntu DoK I can not use
>it for my computer.
>Does anyone have any idea how can I install Ubuntu on this computer without
>a CD?
>The computer already has an old version of Debian running on it.

Are you sure the DOK actually works? It may also be that the DOK does
not work properly with the computer, I have had that problem, but that
was a long time ago. Make sure it is directly connected to the
computer, I have had trouble using a hub when booting from a DOK.

I did a quick web search and found:

	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dpelleg/X31_freebsd.html

For the purposes of installing, I think it is safe to assume it works the
same with Linux as FreeBSD.

The web page says:

	Straightforward, using an external USB CD-ROM.

If you remember my post answering your question, I suggested that an external
DVD drive would do.

I repeat my offer, if you are in Jerusalem, you are welcome to come here with
it. I have both a working Ubuntu DOK, and an external USB DVD drive.

Geoff.