QuickCam installation on Wine

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:39:31 IST 2009

Moshe,

Wine does not support hardware, so it cannot install any drivers under
wine, nor any USB devices. It can use some "wrappers" to make devices
which are already have Linux drivers installed and loaded - can use
the hardware with wine.

IMHO, your best bet would be to install the webcam using Linux driver
(I think your cam is already supported under Linux) and use a native
Linux program with it. Kopete for example supports webcams so you can
use it with other people who use MSN messenger or Yahoo or ICQ.

Hetz

2009/2/5 Moshe Brace using Yahoo <mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk>

> I tried to install QuickCam Chat v8.48 Windows driver qc848enu.exe with Wine and during the installation got the following warning:
>
> Error Number 0x80040707
>
> Setup will now terminate. (OK Button displayed).
>
> Anyone got any ideas on this.
>
> Distro Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome Desktop
>
> Can this Logitech QuickCam Chat v8.48 be installed so Skype can use it? Ekiga recognises and uses the Camera OK
>
> [root at localhost ~]# lsusb
>
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1307:0165 Transcend Information, Inc.
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:2216 Canon, Inc. Canoscan3200F
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 008 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at433301 4-port Hub
> Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 046d:08a6 Logitech, Inc.
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> [root at localhost ~]#

Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org