Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Ori Berger linux-il at orib.net
Thu Feb 12 18:15:50 IST 2009

Amos Shapira wrote:
> OK,
>
> So I've setup CentOS 5.2 on Xen VPS at VPSLink, compiled latest
> Asterisk (1.4.23) very smoothly according to the instructions at
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/CentOS+5+and+Asterisk+1.4.x+installation
> up to and including the "asterisk -vvvv...vvvc" and "stop now". Also
> installed the rest of the addons.

Does that include the zaptel "ztdummy" server required for MeetMe and
MusicOnHold? I couldn't get it to work; I don't really need it either,
but it would be nice to have.

Lylix.net is priced competitively with VPSlink, and have ztdummy
available within their virtual machines - however, their lowest level is
  equivalent to VPSlink's "link2" which sets you back at $15/month. I'm
considering switching over there if I'd need meetme and didn't get
ztdummy to work on VPSlink.

> How do I test this?

I recommend "twinkle" on Linux. It has a "log" view that is immensely
helpful in debugging, and got me much farther than Ekiga or Wengo did.

> Going to didww.com I'm not sure what should I look for - "Phone to
> VOIP" or "Phone to IP-PBX"? both options cost $US10 a month, I don't
> see an option to pick the allegedly cheaper 077 numbers.

There were also 073 numbers (cellcom) that were $3/month. However,
everything except 03 disappeared from DIDWW and also diamondcard.us -
this doesn't look like a coincidence. Perhaps someone knows what has
happened? I already have a couple of 077 DIDs but this is troubling.

> Anything beyond about $5/month makes this possibly uneconomical, as
> for the long term I don't spend that much on international calls and
> Skypeout subscription can provide unlimited calls for 5 euro/month
> (for minimum of three months). (We have 4000 free Skype minutes from
> our mobiles so Skypeout is very convenient to call from wherever we
> are).

Having played with Asterisk a little, and having set up hosting and
stuff - I'd say that there are services that will be pricewise
competitive, such as Jajah, Skype, and OlehPhone. Each one has a
different set of restrictions on the flexibility that an asterisk server
provides, but they take away all the headaches. If you're only looking
to save money, this is probably NOT the best option when you also factor
in the cost of your time, paid or leisure.