Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 05:01:26 IST 2009

2009/2/13 Ori Berger <linux-il at orib.net>:
> Does that include the zaptel "ztdummy" server required for MeetMe and
> MusicOnHold? I couldn't get it to work; I don't really need it either, but
> it would be nice to have.

I compiled the zaptel package without a problem but didn't install it.

> Lylix.net is priced competitively with VPSlink, and have ztdummy available
> within their virtual machines - however, their lowest level is  equivalent
> to VPSlink's "link2" which sets you back at $15/month. I'm considering
> switching over there if I'd need meetme and didn't get ztdummy to work on
> VPSlink.
>
>> How do I test this?
>
> I recommend "twinkle" on Linux. It has a "log" view that is immensely
> helpful in debugging, and got me much farther than Ekiga or Wengo did.

Thanks. Will try that.

>> Going to didww.com I'm not sure what should I look for - "Phone to
>> VOIP" or "Phone to IP-PBX"? both options cost $US10 a month, I don't
>> see an option to pick the allegedly cheaper 077 numbers.
>
> There were also 073 numbers (cellcom) that were $3/month. However,
> everything except 03 disappeared from DIDWW and also diamondcard.us - this
> doesn't look like a coincidence. Perhaps someone knows what has happened? I
> already have a couple of 077 DIDs but this is troubling.

If anyone hears about good place to get Israeli DID's then please speak up.

Is there any chance that the phone companies themselves will talk to
me with reasonable prices if I approach them directly? Which
department would that be?

> Having played with Asterisk a little, and having set up hosting and stuff -
> I'd say that there are services that will be pricewise competitive, such as
> Jajah, Skype, and OlehPhone. Each one has a different set of restrictions on

Jajah is getting more and more expensive to use for us. Skypeout looks
OK on price up to a point.
Olephone, if that's that one I remember from a while ago, looked too
expensive for my needs.

> the flexibility that an asterisk server provides, but they take away all the
> headaches. If you're only looking to save money, this is probably NOT the
> best option when you also factor in the cost of your time, paid or leisure.

As much as I'm busy, I see this not just as a way to cut costs but
also as an investment since I will be called to setup company-wide
voip at some stage when we get around to it (actually be in charge
with, but it's good to know what your workers are up to).

Cheers,

--Amos