how to MD5 sum a DVD without copying it.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Feb 13 07:57:54 IST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:47:30PM +0200, Michael Vasiliev wrote:
>MD5 on the device file won't work.
>But this works:
>http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

Thanks, I'll look at it.

Well, it sort of worked. It pointed out any read errors, but it did give
me a different MD5 sum. So I was able to tell that the copies I burned were
identical. but not that they matched the original.

For those that don't know, some CD and DVD drives have trouble writting
a few specific bit patterns. Look up "weak sectors" for more information.

Geoff.