Linux experts do not want to be bothered with newbie questions! (was:Re: No noobs?)

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu Feb 19 10:35:52 IST 2009

Omer Zak wrote:

> (I actually prefer top-posting, as it saves me the need to scroll
> downwards when I do quick reading; but I'll play along in this posting.)

The idea behind not top posting is not to bottom post. That is
meaningless. The idea behind not top posting is to edit the original
message, leaving only the relevant parts, and then answering those
inline. You then save your readers the need to guess which part of the
message you were referring to.

> The kind of newbies' questions which I prefer to avoid is the repeating
> one.  One newbie asks how to mount his USB DiskOnKey.  We answer him.  A
> week later, another newbie comes and (being newbie, he is totally
> unaware of the list archives or of the documentation available from
> Google), asks the same question.  AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

I know absolutely nothing about programming in QT. That does not mean
I'm going to ask newbie questions should I have to do it. It just means
I'll do some reading and then ask questions (they may still be newbie
questions, of course, but they are much less likely to be).

Getting people to drop the "newbie frame of mind" is the real challenge.

Shachar