Linux experts do not want to be bothered with newbie questions! (was:Re: No noobs?)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Feb 19 13:16:05 IST 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009 00:40:07 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I don't see you, Dotan Cohen, asking questions which were already asked
> > recently.  I don't think that any of your example questions would
> > currently qualify as noob questions.  Long time has passed since anyone
> > compiled his own kernel in Linux-IL or discussed writing a driver.
>
> Having unique problems is not the blessing that it looks like!
>
> Going through the gnubies list, though, I am starting to have two feelings:
>
> 1) Too much spam. Shlomi made a post about the list being moderated,
> and right after that there is a spam.

That's probably because the spammer has subscribed to the list, and had
already posted from this address before I made the list "first-time
moderated". In the long-term, spam should still be eliminated there.

> 2) The current noob post is titled "Help with ubuntu.... please... ".
> This will be easy for the gurus to ignore, and if you are bored, you
> could get in there and help the guy. We _need_ more Linux users in
> Israel, and just ignoring the noobs will make them go back to the OS
> that they came from. If anything, we have one more user filling up
> Israeli apache logfiles with guarenteed non-IE hits.

Right.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)