Changing the English characters of Hebrew fonts.

Matan Ziv-Av matan at svgalib.org
Tue Feb 24 13:13:48 IST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I have many nice Hebrew fonts that I would like to use for my system
> font, however, they all have very ugly English letters. Is there a way
> to change the font that will be used in English in these Hebrew fonts?

You can use fontforge to generate a new font file with Hebrew letters
from one file and the rest from another. Fontforge supports scripting,
so you don't even need to use the GUI. See here for script language
reference and simple tutorial:

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/scripting.html
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/scripting-tutorial.html

Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan at svgalib.org