Skype sound problems

Moshe Brace using Yahoo mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 12:51:53 IST 2009

Regarding Sound.
Sometimes I find I get the warning "There's a problem with the Sound" even though ALSA appears to be configured OK in Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome Desktop. I have an CMedia PCI card installed. I have not tried the Via. Other programmes work fine regarding sound without problems. To fix I log out and login then the problem appears fixed or reboot. However Mandriva appears not to save the settings.

I have tried setting the Skype Options to Pulse but the sound isn't good, or it won't work. Skype I know needs ALSA. I have tried also tried through the Webcam but as likewise no video it doesn't input sound.

I have also tried:

"alsactl store" and "alsactl restore"

Anyone have any ideas how to get over this problem?
Moshe