Fw: Skype Webcam problems - Update to Webcam Problem

Moshe Brace using Yahoo mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 19:46:01 IST 2009

Update: I tried to start Skype a second time and the camera would not show correctly with the command below. I don't like the idea of remaining in Root all the time as it can be dangerous. I have also installed the following may be it will help

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...bv4l&srodzaj=3

and

qc-usb-qcset - Tool for the old Quickcam Express webcams

But I can see that it must have been a fluke that it worked once with the line below. It doesn't now. I think that I have 2 choices get hold of another Mandriva 2008.1 Spring disk or wait to see if Mandriva put this right in the next upgrade. They know that this is a bug and mismatch.

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

When I typed the above into System Control Panel - Console with root password the Logitech Quickcam worked OK. However I doubt that without root the camera will work in Skype. Is there away to set Mandriva to do this without having to type this each time?
Any Ideas?
Moshe