Linux for an association I work for.

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Feb 28 19:44:15 IST 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 16:58:33 David Harel wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I need your help regarding convincing the vice president of an
> association to shift from MS XP to Linux. What I did till now was
> install Ubuntu on two machines that were phasing out and failed to run
> MS. We got all services we needed including connectivity to external
> resources.

So it worked fine?

> Currently the objection to my initiation is in three items:
>
>    1. Make Linux connect to IPVPN (thought it is straight forward).

"though it is straight-forward", or "I think it is straight-forward?".

>    2. Maintenance cost.

Well, there have been many studies on Linux vs. Windows TCO:

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows%20linux%20tco%20studies

(Many of them were sponsored by Microsoft, in order to prove the point that
Windows had lower TCO).

Windows also has a maintenance cost and it is not negligible either. In
Windows, one also needs to install and maintain a lot of anti-malware
software, which is not needed in Linux, which adds to the maintenance cost and
time considerably. Linux - on the other hand - just works, and is much more
secure by design.

>    3. Getting his approval for my test (seems like a small man).
>
> I need information to try to overturn his stubbornness.

You might try searching for "Linux advantages" or similar queries. I found the
following in a quick search:

http://www.foogazi.com/2006/12/19/5-advantages-of-using-linux-over-windows/

Sorry I could not have been of more help.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)