Linux and video multicasting

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:57:46 IST 2009

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Arie Skliarouk <skliarie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My friend needs to broadcast an event live for 150000 viewers. Unicast
> broadcasting requires tremendous bandwidth and hence - money. Thus he asked
> me to check multicast option.
>
> There are "instructions" on doing multicast using VLC:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpkmdi1gKvM
>
> but during my researches I discovered that few deployed routers support
> multicasting technolody, and even then, the resulting video stream would
> suffer from slightest packet drop.
>
> Can anybody comment?
>
> If I understand correctly, every multicast-enabled router or firewall must
> monitor subscribed multicasts and periodically poll the clients, whether
> they are still interested in getting the multicast stream.
> I have not found a way to forward multicast packets on Linux. Once there
> was package mrouterd, but it is not shipped anymore.
>
> Have anybody worked with multicasted video on Linux?

i do not think ip multicast is the solution. using ip multicast it is easier
to create high load traffic and slow down the net ....., so it is disabled
on purpose ...

The better soultion IMHO is peer2peer, however i am not aware of any
open-source software that lets you watch video online using peer2peer
technology

erez.