The new linux-il - a few tips to get you (re)started

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Jan 30 23:45:33 IST 2009

Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> The only sane and foolproof method is to have mailman set the Reply-To
> field to the list address. This is a fantastically appropriate moment
> to do it.

If you want to bring THAT discussion up, then at the very least address
the stated shortcomings of your proposed setting. As long as you ignore
those, you are talking, but not listening (in other words, this isn't a
discussion).

They are listed at http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html, but
the ones I mostly want answered are these two:

    * With reply to set to the list, the failure mode is catastrophic,
      while with it not, the failure mode merely means having to resend
      a message.
    * Sending a private message with reply to list is much much much
      more difficult than sending a public message without it.

Shachar