Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Ori Berger linux-il at orib.net
Sat Jan 31 05:49:34 IST 2009

Least year, there was a thread discussing set up of an asterisk system,
which included a description by Arik Baratz (see e.g.
<http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il/msg52213.html> and
<http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il/msg52276.html>)

I am planning to set up something similar, and before I embark, wanted
to ask anyone on the list if they have anything to add to that
discussion. From looking around, it seems that:

- VPSLink is still the cheapest VPS host at $8/month (or $80/year) for
   64MB of memory. It seems like the OpenVZ package is better suited
   than the Xen package, being less resource intensive. And from past
   experience I would bet on Debian -- however, can anyone here share
   their experience (Arik?). Will "apt-get install asterisk" be enough,
   or will I have to compile everything myself?

- grnvoip still seems like the cheapest termination service - but
   only provides SIP connection, whereas voipjet, still competitive,
   provides only IAX2. Any recommendation here? IAX2 is supposed to
   be less resource intensive than SIP, but I don't know if that'll
   matter on a 64MB machine routing at most two calls.

- didww.com is competitive on DIDs ($3/month for 077- number in IL,
   $10/month for 03- number, $2/month US number), but other such as
   diamondcard.us provide same prices, and also do termination (although
   not as cheaply as grnvoip or voipjet).

- Any positive or negative experiences routing SMS between those
   systems?

Does anyone have experience, specific software versions and/or
configuration scripts to share with regards to such a setup?

Thanks in advance,
Ori.