Compiling glibc2.9 on ubuntu - stack-protector functions are undefined

Lev Olshvang levo at vboxcomm.com
Thu Jul 2 12:52:52 IDT 2009

Hi linuxers,

I am trying to compile glibc2.9 on Ubuntu 7.10
and I am experiencing chicken and egg problem :

Here the steps I do

1. ../glibc-2-.9/configure

2. make

  Result:
dl-load.c:1796: more undefined references to `__stack_chk_fail_local' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Google search reveals that this function  belong to stack-protector
feature and advised to turn it off
So I removed buid directory to start  again

1 . export CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector"
    export CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector "

2. ../glibc-2-.9/configure

3.  make

Result
  glibc-build/config.h:3:3: error: #error "glibc cannot be compiled
without optimization"

Can smb advise on this ?

Thanks,
Lev