Why initramfs stops although root device is mountable and ready to use

Lev Olshvang levo at vboxcomm.com
Tue Jul 7 11:27:36 IDT 2009

Boker  Everybody,

I recently experienced a strange problem:

The system is based on Ubuntu kernel 2.6.28  which I compiled and built
initramfs for it provided with a driver for ide disk (pata_via.ko)

grub should boot this system from the root=/dev/sda1

The boot process stops on a famous message "waiting for a root file system".

But then it enters the busybox prompt  and I see that /dev/sda1 is
indeed exist, I can mount it  and access files.

I do not  understand this  : root device is ready, but  boot process  is
stuck ??

Thanks,
Lev