debian lenny sudden restart

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Thu Jul 16 20:22:51 IDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 18:21 +0300, Shimon Panfil wrote:
> Hi folks,
> today my main box running debian lenny made sudden restart. How can I
> investigate what was the reason? What log should I inspect? I use UPS
> so the reason might be more interesting that simple power failure.

I have a problem, which may be related.

Usually it is not restart, but the keyboard and mouse freeze in X-Window
and I have to hit the Big Red Button.
More rarely, the X-Window subsystem spontaneously restarts.

My system is (uname -a):
Linux c2 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Sun Jun 21 04:57:38 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
It is tainted by nvidia proprietary drivers.

Usually the system gets stuck when I do something (such as opening a new
page) with the browser (Iceweasel 3.0.6).

Like Shimon, I would appreciate advice which log files to inspect.

                                              --- Omer

--
Linux Mint is insecure by design as it won't accept contributions (bug
reports) from Israelis who choose to defend themselves against suicide

I may be affiliated in any way.