debian lenny sudden restart

Shimon Panfil info at industrialphys.com
Sat Jul 18 09:58:07 IDT 2009

Quoting Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il>:

> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 18:21 +0300, Shimon Panfil wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> today my main box running debian lenny made sudden restart. How can I
>> investigate what was the reason? What log should I inspect? I use UPS
>> so the reason might be more interesting that simple power failure.
>
> I have a problem, which may be related.
>
> Usually it is not restart, but the keyboard and mouse freeze in X-Window
> and I have to hit the Big Red Button.
> More rarely, the X-Window subsystem spontaneously restarts.
--skipped--

It seems, you are right the actual problem is X-server crush (still do
not understand why).
  Xlog.0 shows:
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
SetGrabKeysState - disabled

Don't know what does it mean.

It was first (and for sure last) time I used display manager
so X-server crush has lead to system restart (and long calculation was lost).

--
Shimon Panfil: Industrial Physics and Simulations
http://industrialphys.com