reshet.ynet.co.il not on Download Helper, anything else?

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Jul 25 11:54:30 IDT 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:43:55 +0300
sara fink <sara.fink at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A friend recommended "Handbrake" which converted no problem with
> > "MP4->H.264" (doubled the size of the files compared to .flv) but the
> > Nokia didn't play the Video.
> >

> I heard that H.264 is problematic. Proprietary codec.

It's patented, not sure about proprietary, on the other hand, it's the main
format that is supported by todays phones and such. I think that you need to
pay royalties if you use it in your software but not to use it as a user,
although there is x264 which is compatible and free, and ffmpeg which includes
support for x264, so I don't know where the legal side lies.

Note though that there are several profiles, and not all of them are supported
in each player/device so that may be the problem. Try using a lower profile,
that should solve your problem probably. Also check what container your device
supports since h264 defines only the video encoding, it can still go inside avi
(partial support, not all features), mpeg2/4, flash (yes, most flash encapsulated
movies are h264) etc.