0AD - A real-time strategy game, now in open source.

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue Jul 28 23:20:27 IDT 2009

On 24.07.2009 Aviv Sharon wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> My name is Aviv Sharon, and I'm a 22-year-old student from Haifa and a
> member of Wildfire Games, a team of volunteer game developers working on 0
> A.D. - a free, 3d, historically-based real-time strategy game.
>
> Wildfire Games has announced that it will be moving its previously closed
> development process for *0 A.D.* to open source. All code will be released
> under the GPL and all art under CC-BY-SA.
>
> Releasing the content serves to attract new developers to the project. We're
> looking for talented people who want to prove that open source games can be
> just as good as the proprietary ones. You're all welcome to check out the
> project and join.

Just a quick report -- built on Fedora-10:
* I just made a quick and dirty test, no RPM's yet. In addition to
  what I already had on my system I needed the following packages
  from the standard repositories:
   boost-devel
   libxml2-devel
   wxGTK-devel
   js-devel
   openal-devel
   gamin-devel
   nasm
   cryptonpp-devel
   enet-devel
   libjpeg-devel
   binutils-devel
   DevIL-devel
   DevIL-ILUT-devel
* ACE isn't packaged for Fedora due to licensing issues.
  However, there are RPM's and SRPM's maintained on:
   http://dist.bonsai.com/ken/ace_tao_rpm/
  I grabbed the SRPM, rebuilt it cleanly and installed it.
* There was one build problem -- the sources include SpiderMonkey
  headers as #include <js/js....>, while the Fedora js-devel
  package install them directly under /usr/include and not in
  a js/ subdirectory.
  I didn't have time to investigate who is right/more-up-to-date
  etc. As a workaround I simply created a symlink as root:
    ln -s . /usr/include/js

Cheers,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron