How to count dropped connections

Noam Rathaus noamr at beyondsecurity.com
Tue Jun 9 14:05:45 IDT 2009

Amos,

What are you trying to count? I hope I understood you correctly, you want to
know how many HTTP requests are being handled, against those that couldn't
be handled due to lack of connections.

netstat is a very bad counting devices, unless you are counting packets.

If you want to count "requests" I would count incoming connection requests
(SYN) vs apache log of requests

The incoming connections should be counted using tcpdump or similar

while apache log should be easily achievable by grep