Why is GNU/Linux so Bloated?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Jun 12 00:14:19 IDT 2009

Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

>  If a process
>    is linked against several libraries all but one need to be
>    relocated to other free addresses,
No, this statement is very far from the truth. I have worked quite a lot
with DLLs, and very rarely saw the linker message saying that two DLLs
require overlapping base addresses. I'm not sure whether base addresses
are allocated randomly or something else is at work here, but collisions
are not that common.

What you did neglect to count, however, is the size of the runtime library.

Also, there may be differences in the executable size that do not
translate to final in memory size, and it's not clear which -Os is
trying to minimize.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh