OT: Bezeqint made me "poof... he's gone"

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:04:00 IDT 2009

>> > It didn't help. Google eventually lost the page rank for the old domain
>> > before the redirect and I had to slowly regain it.
>>
>> The only thing that you could have done here was to make sure that
>> there was a redirect long before the old domain went cold.
>>

> I did. But it didn't help. Did you mean "long after"?

No, long before. The old domain has to 301 to the new domain for some
time (I think at least until google recalculates PR, usually every six
months), and of course Google has to see it.

> Yes, and I don't want bots to find anything on sf.org except for a link to
> www.shlomifish.org. As far as I'm concerned sf.org should not exist.

Why not? What if I want to download your site to read offline on the
train? What if some new search engine wants to rank you? And what
about the real malicious bots, that fake the IE UA anyway? Would you
not complain if a site would not show the Firefox UA a page, instead
making you forge the IE UA?

>> Very good, and I see that you have an RSS feed as well. But get rid of
>> the Atom feed! What is it there for? Do users really need to make that
>> choice? Why don't you give them a choice of HTML 4.1 or XHTML 1.0 for
>> the pages as well?
>
> Some people prefer Atom, and some clients only support RSS. Most people can
> make either choice reasonably (or they are not aware of the web-feeds
> technology at all). LiveJournal.com gives me both, so I point to both of them.

This choice only confuses users. What advantage does Atom give the user?

>> No, you _don't_ want different content on www.sf.org as on sf.org!
>> Either serve the same content (and thus have the pagerank divided
>> between two pages) or 301 one to the other.
>
> I want only http://www.shlomifish.org/ to exist. I want nothing on sf.org, and
> so far it seems to work. I don't get many hits to sf.org.

Then redirect it. People are going to link to it anyway, and people
are going to type it into their browsers.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il