OT: Home network

Leonid Podolny leonidp.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:40:44 IDT 2009

Dotan Shavit wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009, Meir Michanie wrote:
>> Hi List,
>> I would like to know if anyone in the list can give me some advise on
>> network wiring in a house.
> My advise  is "Don't".
> Use wireless network.

Exactly. Electromagnetic waves are neat, easily relocatable and easily
upgradeable.
I use WiFi at home and am absolutely happy with it. It is fast enough
for 99%  of all uses. When, once in a couple of months, I need to
transfer more than few hundreds of MB, I just use a USB stick. Only once
over the course of last couple of years, I needed to backup a whole HD,
so I actually had to take a computer to another room and connect it
back-to-back. Still easier than having the walls drilled.

But be sure to do your reading about Linux support for any NIC you are
about to buy.