High availability virtual ip

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:07:04 IDT 2009

2009/6/24 Michael Tewner <tewner at gmail.com>:
> Hi all -
>
> If all you want to do is float an IP, Linux-HA will work, but a simpler
> solution could be, say, keepalived and vrrpd.

Doesn't vrrpd require cooperation from the switch?

> I you would like to also manage cluster resources, Linux-HA is your best
> solution. I would agree that it has a steep learning curve, and it's a pain,
> but it does exactly what you want, and more. It will handle all of your
> cluster resources - We've used it for MySQL, DRBD, OCFS2, Asterisk, and
> others.

I've been using Linux-HA for about 18 months now. Using the packages
bundled with CentOS 5 (started at 5.0 and at 5.3 now).

Although the packages are version 2, I couldn't get the fancier
version 2 xml style configuration to work, it just kept crashing one
of the daemons. So I stick to the older "haresources" style and it
works, but I'm always suspicious about how well it'll behave in real
tight corners.

I have a suspicion that I can learn a lot more and gain more in
regards to redundancy and fail-over but try as I might, after a few
weeks of fiddling with the more fancy configuration format even just
to serve a simple VIP I had to go back to haresources. This was over a
year ago so maybe it improved since?

What about RedHat Cluster Suite? It's part of CentOS as well, as far
as I'm aware, it's based on Linux-HA, and a worker of mine has good
experience with it so I'm thinking of maybe checking it when we have
some time to breath again. Does it do anything better?

--Amos