Windows-free laptop in Israel - possible after all

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Mon Mar 2 13:24:25 IST 2009

Hi everybody,

I decided that some of you might be interested to know that I got
myself a new laptop a few days ago. The reason for your possible
interest will be not just being good friends of mine (though some of
you undoubtedly are), but the fact that the laptop came without
Windows Vista Ultimate Housewife Professional Edition or
whatchamacallit, and without court procedures, communications,
negotiations, out-of-court settlements, or any other hassle required
to get an unused-EULA refund from the manufacturer.

I had thought it was highly unlikely to impossible in Israel, so it
was quite a pleasant surprise. Surprised, too? Read on.

To start with, some manufacturers do offer computers without Windows
or the associated "Microsoft tax". One example is Lenovo, who offer
certain ThinkPad models preloaded with FreeDOS. From what I
heard/read, Dell and HP do it on occasion as well. Obviously, unless
you buy abroad or over the Internet (which may result, e.g., in
incomplete warranty, expensive shipping, etc.) this is not enough -
there must be an Israeli importer/distributor who will actually bring
such products to Israel and sell them to you. I think it is fair to
say that most Israeli distributors will not stock or order anything
without Windows because "what are you going to do with the computer
without software, anyway?" I talked to quite a few, and this was the
uniform answer in every case.

Well, it turns out that there is at least one importer who does
that. They are http://www.memory4less.co.il, they live not far from
Tel Aviv's Central Bus Station (address and phone number are on the
website), and they sell equipment to both organizations and private
individuals. I visited them in person (to have a look at the chosen
computer), asked a number of questions (got answers from both
salespeople and a technician, and in general got a reasonable level of
service), and left with a nice Lenovo ThinkPad X200 with FreeDOS for
my trouble.

I had browsed http://www.zap.co.il for a laptop satisfying a number of
requirements, and it had never occurred to me to include
"Windows-free" or "FreeDOS" or anything related into my queries. I was
quite resigned to paying the M$ tax. I just clicked through to a make
and a model that interested me, got a list of vendors, and sorted them
by price. Memory4Less's offer was the best by price, and after
checking the customer reviews (quite good) I clicked on the link, and
that was when "FreeDOS" leapt into my face. So, it was a fluke.

While talking to them as they were preparing the simple paperwork, I
learned that while they were aware that some people preferred to
install SW themselves they were not aware at all of a category of
customers that would be interested in getting Windows-free computers
and might appreciate a vendor providing such an option. They would not
remove preinstalled Windows from a computer (moving it to a diffeerent
computer, moving the associated stickers around, etc., is a
hassle). What they said they would do, however, is provide a quote for
a computer that a manufacturer offers without Windows, and then order
it and deliver it to the customer. I presume they will only do it if
they work with the manufacturer regularly (I did not ask). I would
guess that, if asked, they will also say which models come (from
manufacturers they work with) without Windows.

My chosen model was in stock, so I got it with zero lead time.  It
came with full international (including Israel) warranty from
IBM. Memory4Less will extend the warranty (in Israel) past expiration
for a fee, with service in their lab, if the customer so desires.

Now, I have no connection to them, I do not represent them or vouch
for them, I am not endorsing them or advertising them, and in general
Your Mileage May Vary and Standard Disclaimers Apply. I am only
reporting my own experience that resulted in a new laptop satisfying
all my requirements, with good shopping experience, the best price for
the chosen make/model I could find, and with no Windows or any
refund-related hassle whatsoever. I figure it is a Good Thing(TM), and
as such it should be noted and, where practical, encouraged.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org