What is the secret to using Lyx with Hebrew?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Mar 4 19:41:36 IST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 07:23:33PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Maxim Kovgan <maxim.kvg at gmail.com>:
> > I used lyx by implementing the instructions from huji site about lyx.
> > what I got to was:
> > when I pressed F12 (IIRC), it *switched* language, both he->en and
> > en->he, depending on the current state.
> > I don't remember having to worry about anything else.
> >
> > I don't understand exactly what do YOU wish to achieve ?
> >

> I would like to be able to switch languages in Lyx just like I do in
> any other application, that is, with the windows manager's shortcuts.
> In my current setup Lyx displays Hebrew as LTR when I switch
> languages. I must go back, highlight the Hebrew text, and select
> Hebrew from the languages list.

The main issue here is that LaTeX's language support is inherently
explicit: for each part of the text you mark of which language it
belongs. LyX follows suit here: Hebrew text is not the same as English
text.

Fixing this would probably require some major changes in LyX.

In some earlier versions of LyX the keyboard language and the document
language were basically the same (and LyX comes with its own independent
Hebrew layout. I'll leave it for you to guess the exact layout :-) . In
later versions this was gone. And toggling languages became a pain.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best