Citrix vs. VMware, Users' experience?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Wed Mar 4 22:05:53 IST 2009

On Wednesday, 4 בMarch 2009, Ira Abramov wrote:
> This is what I need for the clients. Both are good at windows, only
> starting out in Linux. Both need something that's not too techie and CLI to
> manage. ESXi has been the automatic no-brainer choice, but with
> XenServer being free I'll need to ask the Lazyweb...

1. You forgot KVM. If you have modern CPU (e.g: Intel from Core-2 Duo and up
   or an equivalent AMD [don't remember their spec]) you can get a Free
   solution with pretty good performance.

2. For management you'd want to look at libvirt [http://libvirt.org].
   It can manage via the same interface Xen and KVM (and old Qemu, but
   that's just for demos on old hardware).

3. You may talk to libvirt either via the virsh command line tool or
   via virt-manager GUI:
      http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/screenshots.html
   I played with both (against KVM/Qemu) and it's a breeze to manage
   guests both locally and remotely via a secure connection (ssh or ssl).
   You can instantiate new guests, control them and view their vnc console.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
   __